Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Draper part of the Pumpkin Walk

As I said in my previous post, we did a scene in the pumpkin walk this year. We decided to do Batman. Here is how we did it.


It is really nice, there is a family that donate the pumpkins for the scenes. So about a week before the pumpkin walk starts they call everyone and we go and pick which pumpkins we need for our scenes. My kids love the huge mound of pumpkins.


We all gather one day and start painting the pumpkins.


Here are the kids painting the pumpkins that are going to be bombs.


Another picture with the kids painting the bombs.


Nick did a good job of painting the Joker. Here is the Joker in progress but I didn't get a picture of Nick with him.


Stephen did a good job on Batman.


You can see Joker in the background (with Nick behind him) and Two Face in progress that Nick and Randy painted.

Here are our finished heads


Joker


Two Face


Batman

We also get their clothes ready.


Batman's clothes were a wet suit that we found at DI and then we painted it all black.

A couple of days before the pumpkin walk we can start setting up our scene at the park.


First we gather some supplies


Then we paint and get the backdrop ready


We painted a city with the sky for our back drop this year.


Our back drop is almost done. Our friend Elissa helped us set up this year.


The hardest thing this year was figuring out how to hoist Batman up in the air to make it look like he was flying. Here Nick and Stephen are trying to get the rebar in the cold ground. It wasn't working very well.


It only took us about ten minutes to decide to all work together and we finally got the rebar in the ground. (on a side note: can I say that I hate my camera, sometimes the pictures turn out blurry, I am hoping to steal some pictures from Shauntae to replace my stupid blurry ones)


They finally got Batman up there, thanks to a lot of work from Stephen and Nick. I like how his cape turned out.


Here is the Joker with his body put together.


And Two Face with his body.



Here is the finished scene


Another picture of the finished scene

One of the fun parts is most people put music with their scenes. We had 3 cool Batman songs that continuously played.

It was a lot of work but a lot of fun. We will see if we are recovered by next year to try this again.

4 comments:

Mamalissa said...

I wish that we could have seen it!! I think you are so creative and its such a fun memory for the kids to have- great work Drapers!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

The scene turned out really awesome this year, you guys did such a good job (as always)!

All the Angles said...

That is so AWESOME!! You guys did a GREAT job!! I wish we lived close enough to come see it in person! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your pictures! Showing us how you did it and taking us on the pumpkin walk! What a great idea!
<3 Wendy

Ann said...

Just amazing! Your did a great job! I remember your mom doing alot of painting when we were younger. You defiantly got you moms creativity. I showed my kids and they want to do some thing like it too. For FHE I think we'll just paint faces. You are a great mom and I'm sure your kids will remember doing this for a long time.